Clinical Research Program
Research begins with people just like you who are willing to volunteer their time to participate in clinical trials. Volunteering to participate in clinical studies at Northern Colorado Pulmonary Consultants offers the opportunity to help in the development of new treatments that may enhance the quality of life by those affected by diseases such as COPD. Volunteering offers you the opportunity to learn more about your lungdisease process. Northern Colorado Pulmonary Consultants offers compensation for time and travel for completed study visits. Complete and submit our online clinical trial form or call our office at (970) 490-4211 if you would like to learn more about participating in clinical research. Once our office receives your request, one of our coordinators will contact you.
What You Can Expect:
Since each study at Northern Colorado Pulmonary Consultants has different requirements for participation, our research staff will review your medical information to match you with a study that is suitable for you. If you qualify, investigational study medications, study visits, and related procedures are provided at no cost to you. Your health and safety are of utmost importance to our research staff.
Before agreeing to participate, our coordinator will meet with you to ensure that you are informed about what the study entails, such as:
- information about the product being studied
- duration of study participation
- procedures that will be done as part of the study
- risks/benefits of participation
- medication restrictions
- alternative treatment options
There is no charge for this visit and we encourage you to:
- bring your spouse, family member, or friend with you
- ask questions or discuss any concerns you may have during this visit
- Think about it. You do not have to make a decision to participate at this visit. In fact, we encourage you to take the information home to discuss with family, friends, and your primary care physician.
If you elect to volunteer, both you and a member of our research team must sign the informed consent document in person prior to any study-related procedures or changes in medications.
Once signed, you will be scheduled for a screening visit where procedures such as:
- blood work
- pulmonary function tests
- physical exam may be performed to determine if you meet the qualifications for the study and to ensure you are healthy enough to begin the study medication. You may be asked to keep track of your daily symptoms and/or medication use in a diary during the trial to help us in monitoring your health during the study.
Importance of Clinical Research:
Clinical research studies are an important part in making new medications available for future use. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) requires that a drug is proven safe and effective for an illness before it is made available to physicians and patients. In order to provide this evidence to the FDA, pharmaceutical companies partner with sites such as Northern Colorado Pulmonary Consultants, P.C., to run the trials on the medications. The information obtained from clinical research studies helps the doctors and the FDA decide if a drug is safe and effective before the drug is approved for distribution to patients.
How Can I Learn More?
Complete and submit our online clinical trial form or call our office at (970) 490-4211 if you would like to learn more about participating in clinical research. Once our office receives your request, one of our coordinators will contact you.